Monday, June 25, 2012

Leaving my worries behind with the road ahead of me

I was talking to an old friend today, while riding in my Kia Soul home from a long day at work and I realized I was exhausted and stressed out. I asked her when was the last time either of us had a moment of peace where we weren't thinking about kids, jobs, bills, and our significant other? She couldn't recall a time where worry didn't motivate her towards a goal. I agreed. We spend so much time concentrating on the future and worrying about our past mistakes that we forget to focus on the present.

I asked her what do you do to destress? What do you do that is just for you? She didn't / couldn't name anything and at first neither could I. Then I thought wait a minute. Every time you are on your scooter you relax. Every time you are on the scooter you twist and go and leave the weight of life's worries behind. It's me time squared.

I can't worry about anything but the road in front of me. I can't think of the deadlines looming, the son who is graduating, the significant other or any bills which may be piling up. I have to concentrate on me and the road. It's a beautiful feeling. It's freeing, it's relaxing and it's my version of therapy.

An hour a day on the scoot and I'm a more relaxed, happier Gail. Once relaxed then I can face the daily stressors with a clearer head. Some people run, do yoga, ride bikes etc and have the same experience that I am discussing. For me the answer to life's stressors is my Piaggio Typhoon 125.

So what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment